Garage & Yard Sales
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
Garagesale means any sale entitled " garage sale" "lawn sale," "attic sale," "rummage sale," "flea market sale," or any similar casual sale of tangible personal property which is advertised by any means whereby the public at large is or can be made aware of such sale.
(Code 1991, § 13-26)
Definitions generally, § 1-2.
- Garagesale permit. It shall be unlawful for any person to conduct a garage sale in the city without first filing with the city the information specified in this article and obtaining a permit to do so, which permit shall be known as a garage sale permit. The fee for such permit shall be as provided in the fee schedule in Appendix B of this Code. Such permit shall be issued to any one person or location only once within a six-month period, and no such permit shall be issued for more than ten consecutive calendar days. Each such permit must be prominently displayed on the premises upon which the garage sale is conducted throughout the entire period of the permitted sale.
- Garagesale sign permit.
- It shall be unlawful to erect signs advertising a garage sale on any premises other than the location of the garage sale without having first obtained a garage sale sign permit.
- Application for such sign permit shall be made to the sign inspector, and a permit fee as provided in the fee schedule in Appendix B of this Code shall be paid.
- No such permit shall be issued unless there is deposited with the city the sum as provided in the fee schedule in Appendix B of this Code, which sum shall be returned to the applicant if the applicant causes all such signs, posters or advertisements to be removed within the time prescribed by this section.
- A maximum of seven signs shall be allowed, and no such sign, poster or advertisement shall be permitted to remain in a public place for a period longer than ten days. If such applicant does not cause the removal of such signs, posters or advertisements within the time specified by this section, then his deposit shall be forfeited to the city.
(Code 1991, § 13-27)
- Name of person conducting such sale.
- Name of owner of the property on which such sale is to be conducted, and consent of owner if applicant is other than the owner.
- Location at which the sale is to be conducted.
- Number of days of sale.
- Date, nature of any past sale.
- Relationship or connection applicant may have had with any other person conducting such sale and the date or dates of such sale.
- Whether or not applicant has been issued any other vendor's license by any local, state or federal agency.
- Sworn statement or affirmation by the person signing that the information therein given is full and true and known to him to be so.
(Code 1991, § 13-28)
- Persons selling goods pursuant to an order or process of a court of competent jurisdiction.
- Persons acting in accordance with their powers and duties as public officials.
- Any person selling or advertising for sale an item or items of personal property which are specifically named or described in the advertisement and which separate items do not exceed five in number.
Code 1991, § 13-29)